Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers

Hey Doug,

A lot of years of listening have gone by and I'm one who has given up trying to be an "audiophile", if audiophile means that the proof in the pudding is measurements. Definitely important, but not a guarantee to ones enjoyment. Life is too short to not enjoy ones system because it doesn't stack up to total flat frequency response across the board.

Not that my gear romances the sound; actually I suspect some of it measures pretty well. Just that I've decided being a "music lover with and audiophile moon rising" gets me close enough to both sides of the coin.

For example, I heard a pair of $239 speakers (Elac) played via computer gear through the new Audio Alchemy gear, that sounded better to me than anything else at the California Audio Show. And it sounded different than what I hear at home (I'm mostly a vinyl guy who doesn't own a single download), but it told me quickly that enough was right that I can let it all go and enjoy the tunes. I know there was a midbass bump that was either system or room dependent, but I didn't care.

On a side note, it was cool seeing Peter Madnick back with the Audio Alchemy name. I remember owning and reviewing several pieces for SoundStage! back in the 90's. I think I still have a DTI in a box in the attic.

See ya. Dave

Edits: 08/18/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers - Jive Turkey 17:38:05 08/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.