Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

A couple more thoughts on "voicing" and "personality"

It was interesting to compare the measurements of the Wilson Benesch speakers and the Falcon LS3/5A in the previous issue. Below 1.2kHz or so, the on-axis response is nearly identical: significant humps around 100Hz (like probably the majority of small 2-ways) and 1kHz, with a deep saddle between them. While they are voiced quite differently above that range, both speakers' response peak at 1kHz (an artifact of the woofers used, since it is both well above box loading and below crossover frequency?) HAS to contribute significantly to the sonic signature or "personality" of the speakers.

As for the treble responses, I see different things going on. The Falcons place both drivers down -6dB at crossover and in reverse polarity, a quasi-LR2 alignment which has become fairly standard practice in recent years. They sum reasonably flat through the crossover region, with a slightly lifted HF response (an obvious design choice) and a lot of hash in the upper treble, probably attributable to diffraction nasties off the protruding cabinet edges. The WB appears to be using Butterworth transfer functions, with both drivers in positive polarity, down -3dB and 90 degrees out of phase at crossover. Measured on the tweeter axis, this will quite predictably result in a peak at crossover frequency and a phase cancellation dip just below. On the "correct" axis, somewhat below the tweeter, this should level out a bit as the phase falls into place.

As a speaker DIYer who works long and hard to achieve the flattest, most neutral response with the best possible phase tracking an octave or more either side of crossover, I find it intriguing that these rather gross response anomalies should sound pleasing to two highly experienced listeners. I've got an old graphic EQ in a closet somewhere. I may have to dig it out, put it in the system, and dial up a big spike at 1kHz just to hear what that sounds like. Who knows, I might like it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.