Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I don't feel thrown under the bus...

I don't feel thrown under the bus.

So, I agree with you Mike, and thanks for posting.

Even back when I was writing for TAS, John Atkinson and I had a cordial relationship and at some point we worked out a tacit gentleman's agreement that we agreed to disagree on the sound of the big Shahinian loudspeakers.

So, John and I have disagreed about sound in the past and most likely will in the future, and it has not impacted my sense of self-worth all that much; and our few disagreements have never left me feeling that John believed I was deaf.

I also have to point out that while we may have somewhat differing approaches to sound, I think that it is rather surprising (but perhaps not) that over the years, time and again, when I mentioned a favorite work or recording, John would reply that the same has long meant much to him.

Examples include the Sir David Willcocks "An Oxford Elegy" (as rarely-heard work as any from any major composer), and the pipe-organ piece "Master Tallis's Testament," which was included on "Pipes Rhode Island" and was a pleasant surprise for John when I played the work-in-progress on the large MBL speakers at a NYC hi-fi show. You really could have heard a pin drop--a peak experience.

In my listening chair 8 or 9 feet from the centerline between the speakers, I was not consciously aware of the wrinkle circa 1,000 Hz that shows up in JA's measurements.

Being a columnist and not a reviewer, I get to "scratch and sniff" loudspeakers, and if I decide they are not worth recommending, I send them back, and so experiences over the past year or year-plus have told me that the Wilson Benesch Square One Series II is--by my tastes and prejudices--an excellent loudspeaker for the money, and I enjoyed my time with it immensely.

So, a tempest in a teacup rather than a de-bus-ustration.

(We need a word that is "defenestration," except from a bus.)

I also have to point out that even though JA never "got" the Shahinian sound, he graciously included the Obelisk in the 50th-Anniversary issue's list of significant audio products.

I was touched, and I think it must have meant an awful lot to Dick and to Vasken.

OK?

John Marks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.