Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Total fiction being represented as an audio review.

First off I do not post here but read this forum often. I have great respect for reviewers and what they write.

As a teen I traveled to Times Square in Manhattan by subway religiously to Hotalings to purchase all the British hi-fi magazines and Wireless World. (The internet has changed the world)

I read every original Absolute Sound and Stereophile probably a thousand times, and they're probably still packed away somewhere in storage. I respect reviewers and their reviews even though we all may have different opinions.

It is always enjoyable to read what others think and discuss them intelligently. In many ways this is a big part of this hobby and gives many of us great enjoyment.

Something really bothered me and I posted on the computer audio board but it was taken down, but I would like to maybe try to discuss this here a bit.

Cables are a controversial subject as it is, but in my opinion they are an important part of what we do. Heck, I've probably spent enough money over the years on cables to feed a small third world country. LOL

The recent review by Part-time audiophile on ethernet cables in my opinion is based on a totally fictitious scenario. There's nothing wrong with saying that he felt these cables improve the system but to create total fiction that his network was basically broken until the use of these cables is disingenuous.

There is no way a network could function as badly as he initially states unless the cables were wrapped around fluorescent lights! Maybe he feels people are that naive, and that's pretty sad but it was really not necessary to go that far to tout the qualities of the cables.

Just a couple of points. To stream audio successfully for instance from a NAS to a music server 100 Mb is more than sufficient, and even then you are not using much of this bandwith. A common mode choke ethernet filter on a gigabit line reduces the speed to 100 Mb and in this scenario there are no dropouts, glitches or any other problems streaming music. I do this and so do many others every single day. As far as video goes even 4K video can easily be streamed without dropouts as depicted in this review.

It is important for we as consumers to respect what reviewers do, but it is also important that they respect us and not insult our intelligence.

I would love to have a meaningful discussion about this and possibly the author of the review instead of having posts deleted can step in and tell us what his network set up consists of. Maybe we can fix it and save him some $$$...

Respectfully
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Total fiction being represented as an audio review. - Bob_C 12:03:46 07/25/15 (51)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.