Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: As I see it - the main problem is

When acoustic memory has been tested (ability to detect small changes in a signal) the uncomfortable part is that the "memory" acuity is a short lived phenomena.

To be clear this is also using a similar "test without prior knowledge" to see if one can hear any difference between A and B and not the impression one gets which includes many things other than the airborne sound reaching ones eardrums.

Overall the most difficult part for the home enthusiast and to a degree in engineering is "our hearing" is much more than the airborne sound and includes what we think, expect, see and know.

Eliminating all the extraneous non-acoustic inputs is why blind testing works pretty well in other areas but leaves the hifi enthusiast scratching their heads when the results aren't what was expected.

In those "other areas" of scientific endeavor, eliminating all those expectations is exactly why it is done and why it is often scorned in home audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: As I see it - the main problem is - tomservo 06:33:12 07/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.