Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I respectfully disagree -

Hi, I think I found the answer to my own question. First, I have the utmost respect for Art Dudley and his findings.Who else could restore the ancient dinosaur turntables as he has. Second, maybe I missed something in rereading the review.I dug thru my stack of stuff and pulled out a copy of 1984's Audio Basics written by Frank Van Alstine about modifying the AR XA turntable. I modded 2 tables way back when this came out.Near the end of the article he states the final listening test must be done by ear.You have to recheck the bearing adjustment as it will move with time and use.If the arm bearings are too tight the sonic quality will be (stifled),compressed with a small undynamic sound stage. If the arm bearings are too loose,(slop),the sound will be bright and hashy sounding from excess arm resonances and bearing rattle.Frank concluded that with a small jewelers screwdriver that you should adjust the bearings (cone) until you get a sound stage that is smooth, dynamic, and big.So I apologize to Art and also Herb Reichert about the Pioneer turntable as I seem to have forgotten stuff from long ago.In Herbs second article were tone arm tweaks you could do with what I've had in question here that would make the Pioneer perform better,and it was I who was smoking the herb not Herbert! I hope you guys can forgive me...sincerely....Mark Korda

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I respectfully disagree - - mark.korda@myfairpoint.net 07:47:48 06/30/15 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.