Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: If the test assumption is clearly wrong, then...?

When listening to panels and other open baffle speakers in the near field, the bass balance is a variable of distance. With big panels, it's less so, because the smaller the panel, the greater the affected frequency range. I did hear Quad 988s once in a more nearfield setup at ~7 ft listening distance and there was a noticeable rise through the bass, probably not 10 dB but enough to make some tracks sound over-ripe in the bass.

All of Stereophile's loudspeaker measurements indicate bass output greater than what you will get in room, due to the near field measurement technique. JA explains this over and over again. Panels are more affected than other designs. As long as you are aware of what to expect from a given measurement technique, you can glean useful information from it.

Just from looking at the Quad 2805 measurements, you can guess that they should sound very neutral in the midrange and coherent, and have pinpoint imaging, but rolled off on top. And that correlates reasonably well with my other listening impressions. I recall a very clear and neutral midrange, tiny pinpoint images, and less sparkle, shimmer, and air on the top end than I'm used to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.