Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Red Herring alert

"First of all, I don't have to. No one is going to review nor measure every speaker available. Is this news to you?"

Of course it is not news to me. I maintained that for years, and it is nice to see you finally admit it. But it does show that no matter what some audiophiles say, they do not select speakers by listening alone. In fact, as you now admit, you have some method of deciding which speakers among the myriads available that you will actually audition, which means you have selected out, rejected, many other speakers without listening to them.

"You prefer reading graphs presenting limited information. I prefer listening to or having others listen to speakers. That is where we disagree."

No matter how you decide what speakers, out of the many available, you will actually listen to, you are going to decide based on limited information. Reports by others of their listening experience, s still provides limited information. I find such reports of some use in making an audition list and in some cases they indicate things I want to listen for, to see if what they say is true. So I by no means reject using recommendations by others as to what speakers are worth trying out, especially if more than one reviewer likes them.

However, in addition, I like wherever possible to see a good set of measured results. But checking out reviewers opinions is another use of measurements. If a reviewer often recommends speaker with measurements so bad that I know I will not like them, then I tend to ignore that reviewer. On the other hand, if I find a reviewer consistently recommends speakers I figure I will like, hen I would tend to try to listen to those speakers.

Measurements are also useful in assessing just how good a speaker is compared to others on the market which may be quite difficult for me to audition. I can be sure that my speakers are among the very best monitor speakers available.

Of course, there might be some other speakers which I would prefer if I ever did listen to them, which does not mean it is necessarily objectively better. But that is true no matter how you buy speakers. Someone just mght come up with a speaker you would like better. We cannot listen to everything.
-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.