Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Woe is you, right?

On the other hand, I never had any particular desire to have dinner with Dr. West of Soundlab.

Forget the specific as that was an example. Wouldn't you like to have a long conversation with any designer of gear you have? Wouldn't you like to understand their philosophy and take on musical reproduction? Perhaps it would impress you more to say I met Keven Voecks at Sea Cliff years ago. Along with other designers I haven't mentioned.

I sure do. And have.

There are lots of speakers that you and your folks with trusted ears never heard,

Perhaps. Has anyone heard them? Does anyone find they are worthy?

Actually, a good set of speaker measurements from the NRC (Soundstage) or Stereophile can be a very useful tool,

Maybe for you, but not for me. They don't provide enough useful information about imaging in many different ways nor about coherency.

your prejudices about little boxes would keep you from auditioning the superb Ethera Vitae

I'll go out on a limb and say that a two way box with an 8" woofer could never provide a lifelike sized image to me. I found the same to be true with the Quad electrostat. I was always aware of listening down to them. BTW, Siggy Linkwitz finds the same to be true.

"Vertical height of the sound stage adds to its realism. I find small 2-way speakers very unsatisfactory in this respect, even when they are correctly positioned at ear level height."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.