Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Why wouldn't they last

I worked for a dealer who carried Quad as well as Martin Logan. None of theose brands lasted longer than 5 years.

In the case of Quad, even though they have that mylar dust cover,eventually sale air and traffic dusty ( very oily) would leach in and essentially short out the high voltages.

In the case of Martin logan The horizontal strips would collect dust and the dust being slightly abrasive would cut into the conductive coating on the diaphraghm. Also in earlier models ( I have not tried the latest) the horizontal foam strips would slowly deteriorate and being under tension would c=alter the speqker parameters.

The only panels which never seemed problematic were the Acoustat. They used regular insulated wire strung up on what looked to be flourescent light grills. They offered a lifetime guarantee and they never seemd to fail, but then they did not quite have the pristine quality of sound like the other brands. Acoustat, unfortunately, did not last very long. IIIRC, Fosgate handles their service.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.