Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

It's all ancient history, but...

I was unaware that HP himself went through a personal bankruptcy; I thought that some old friends bailed him out. Wasn't that the story behind his being hired by "Fi" magazine, if anyone here is old enough to remember that bizarre twist of fate, but not so old as not to be able to remember it.

I had been told that HP had been paid $100,000 up front to write columns for "Fi," which enabled him to buy peace with the IRS over very serious allegations. The IRS takes a dim view of certain things. And certain things are not only not dischargable in Bankruptcy, they are usually considered white-collar crimes.

As far as I know, people like ad sales people were just plain stiffed, there was no judicial process--and the likelihood of a recovery from HP was so slim as not to attract any but a lawyer who had been paid a hefty retainer up front. (That theory being that TAS' "corporate form" was a mere formality or instrumentality, and that in fact the corporation was never treated any differently than a pants pocket. Back in the day, I helped litigate a huge case, circa $21 million, where that was a key issue. And the IRS problems were strong evidence that the corporation and HP were one and the same.)

The one writer at TAS I always find level-headed, well-intentioned, agenda-free, and a gentleman is Neil Gader.

jm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.