Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

From $4000 to over $200,000; it all depends!

Most Silver Clouds were "standard steel bodied." However, some were sent out to coachbuilders for special bodied and or exteriors; there were even a few convertibles made. Special bodies and drop-tops go for a lot more.

A pristine Silver Cloud III that was bought new by Cary Grant and had always been pampered and was owned by a club-member collector recently changed hands for $235,000.

However, there are cornfield and barn-find parts-only cars you can have all day every day under $5000. See image above.

Throwing out the wrecks (the worst of the bad) and the special jobs and the celebrity-owned, hardly ever saw a rainy day examples (the best of the best), my take on values (I am a former accredited automotive journalist) is that the bulk of the US market for a currently collector-car-registered, safe-to-drive, no urgent issues Silver Cloud is $25,000 to $50,000--which is what they were at about 25 years ago, so they have been a wasting asset when you take into account storage maintenance and insurance!

Why?

Because the generation that was 19 when they were new is no longer buying new toys, they are anxiously looking after their own health and their investment portfolios. A Silver Cloud is not a collector car you can use as a daily driver--you have to fast-forward to 1980s or 1990s Rollses to get that.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I think that "Enzo-era" Ferraris have hit their peak--at least the bread-and-butter cars. Why? For the same reason I cite above, and over and above that, while China may be the biggest market for Ferraris, it is the biggest market for Ferraris with automatic transmissions. Who buys a Ferrari in China and why? It's either a rich guy who is usually driven somewhere, so he can't drive stick, or he buys it for his mistress, and she sure can't drive stick!

So, buying an ordinary Ferrari 330GT in the US and hoping to flip it in China for a huge profit is not a great business model.

Once upon a time, pre-WWII Packards and Duesenbergs were the hot collector cars. But nearly everyone who wanted one when they were new is: Dead.

What a young man loved when he was 19 drives the market, and when that stops, the market dies.

JM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.