Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

"You are getting an award! How big an ad do you want to buy?"

One of the many events that cumulatively served to nudge me a little closer to the exit chute from TAS-Land each time, was that after I designated a Shahinian loudspeaker for a TAS award (Editor's Choice? Golden Nostril? I forget)--I also forget which loudspeaker, it might have been the Compass or the Arc--I received a phone call from Vasken Shahinian.

He said, "Hey, John! Thanks for the award!"

I played dumb and said that as far as I knew, I was not supposed to discuss future content with manufacturers, and, why did he think that he was getting an award?

His reply was, a TAS ad rep phoned and told he him was in line for an award, and wanted to know how big an ad Shahinian wanted to buy. Vasken laughed and said they had never bought one ad anywhere, and never would.

In the event, my words of praise did run in the print issue. And, of course, that was more than 15 years ago.

jm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - "You are getting an award! How big an ad do you want to buy?" - John Marks 12:13:24 04/30/15 (68)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.