Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: LOL. So there's only two types of reviews that are acceptable to you.

Exactly, the chips fall where they may.

The other idea is that every manufacturer of any device that Stereophile might review knows exactly the parameters that JA measures every time a player, DAC, amp, speaker, etc comes through his doors. There are no surprises, so any given manufacturer can do those same tests in house or hire them completed and know before hand what he is sending in for review. They would then have the choice to have something reviewed, or not. Pretty simple to me.

If your particular piece doesn't measure well you should know the design trade offs that were made and the reasons for them, and their sonic implications. There have been pieces that reviewers likes that JA felt were not SOTA measurement wise. I would still not complain or ridicule some one for wanting to own it and enjoy it.

I would also suggest that many of the demo pieces that make their way around to different reviews always come back to the manufacturer for a check over before heading out to the next reviewer. It is not the reviewers' responsibility to know if something is broken and they may not have the test equipment or testing skills to do so. I think it is also smart for manufacturers to be part of the set up in a reviewer's place, if possible, to insure all is well before hand.
Jim Tavegia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: LOL. So there's only two types of reviews that are acceptable to you. - jamestavegia@gmail.com 16:50:27 04/27/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.