Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Mutatis mutandis, I would like to think

To my knowledge it has never come up, but, I would LIKE TO imagine that if there ever was a case when I went ga-ga over a piece of gear that another writer had significant experience with and thought was poor sound or at least poor value for money, that writer might get in touch with JA and suggest that he be given an opportunity to rescue our readers from my out-of-control enthusiasms.

So to that extent my examples are I think relevant because they show that Stereophile under JA does not have a "Rome has spoken and the discussion has ended" attitude about a product that has already had ink spilled on it.

I will also say that while I have had a few occasions where I had qualms about the value-for-money (either absolute, relative, or both) about certain pieces of gear praised in Stereophile, I have always ended up thinking that especially for components that have been measured, the relative value proposition should be self-evident, and also that it should be obvious to anyone bright enough to have successfully applied for their own US passport that for X amount of dollars, let's say $15,000 because that is what Vivid B-1s cost when reviewed, you could spend a like amount starting in St. Petersburg Russia and for two weeks going to classical-music performances every afternoon and evening, working yourselves back through Berlin and Amsterdam and Liege and Paris to London, and stuff yourself silly and drink once-in-a-lifetime wines.

All that should be self-evident. In one of my earliest (2001) columns for Stereophile, I suggested many ways to bring music more deeply into your life rather than spend lots of money on cables.

Link attached. Very well worth reading!

JM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.