Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The last 3 companies skewered by Stereophile..not advertisers?

I recall less than flattering reviews of Wilson and Totem speakers. Both were long-term advertisers that stopped advertising afterwards. Wilson has resumed advertising in the wake a several glowing reviews (IMO, Wilson's are very good but you can do better for the $$$). I think that Totem is still boycotting Stereophile. Ayre is another long-term advertiser; the original review of the AX-7 was tepid (altho' AD quite liked it in balanced configuration and follow-up reviews were raves).

Let's face it. Poor or tepid reviews are not common in Stereophile. I think that JA has made the not unreasonable claim that they only seek promising products. Without trying to tabulate the unflattering reviews and determine whether the manufacturer was an advertiser, I think your insinuation is unfounded. Stereophile *has* to maintain some level of credibility, right? They lose readers if they call good products crap and vice-a-verse. Without readers, there are no advertisers regardless of the shenanigans you're implying.

Sterophile may not be perfect, but it is the best (by far, IMO) US audio magazine: most credibility, best writers, and (perhaps most importantly) the only print magazine with measurements.

Edits: 04/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.