Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE:Good point! However, how much are interconnects limiting factor in separates?

"if "high-end" audio generally fails miserably with 2 speakers, 2 pairs of IC's, and 2 or 3 components, how in the world could more speakers, more connections, and more components bring a system any closer to the absolute sound?"

Well...
1. It doesn't fail miserably.
2. More channels are exactly what it needs for better accuracy with live performances.
3. There IS no absolute sound. (ever walked around a hall during rehearsals?)
4. Real performances also are watched. So it needs video too...

I don't know about your racecar analogy, I bet a dragster wouldn't say no to more traction AND more horsepower...

"almost nobody has yet discovered where the serious flaws are within our components"

"Serious" is tough to define, but in general I think just the opposite is true. I'd venture to say that most of the problems are known in general but that their thresholds of perception (and importance) individually and collectively are a gray area, especially across populations of listeners and musical genre.

I used to design electronic stuff that had both aural and visual outputs and the acuity of the experienced user's ears was just breathtaking. Amazingly subtle nuances in the sounds made all the difference to them. Seem familiar? It's not so much that the gear is too bad, it's that our hearing is too good! The cool thing is that the technology is really coming of age and many of the things that are still fuzzy will likely be well quantified and controlled by 2020.

Something to look forward too...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.