Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: At age 72 and on a fixed income

Remember though that what is best to someone else may not be best to you. I have heard plenty of things that other people have said were better than my choices and most of the time I am left scratching my head - they may say it very forcefully or persuasively but at the end of the day people have different sonic goals and you know my taste.

I bought a speaker in 2003 and heard tons of stuff became a reviewer heard even more tons of stuff and then in 2014 I bought the bigger brother model of the speaker I already own after being told XYZ was vastly better - well it's not better to me. Although there is some stuff that I would say is as good but different.

The other day I heard a $80,000 system that some people would no doubt love with sparkling detail on guitar strings - people would know doubt find it accurate - I used the same recording as soon as I got home and that sparkle wasn't prominent but then neither was the sibilance and basically to me my system cleaned its clock. It's not even remotely close - but I can understand at least why someone would choose the XYZ - they would likely perceive it to be less coloured or more accurate etc but to me it was less whole and complete and less engaging. The $80k system would last 2 weeks here and I would be endlessly on the hunt to fix it. I knew with the speakers I bought last year that I would not need to fix it after 2 weeks.

And there is always something better - you can chase it endlessly or actually find something that is musically satisfying. The trappings of moving things in and out every week is that XYZ may come in and thump ABC on certain traits and it will be declared the superior product. Audiophile buzzword approved advantages likes soundstage and imaging are placed front and center above all other considerations. I remember comparing the MF A300 integrated to an old Sugden A48B - the former had AIR and a sense of openness about it. The Sugden sounded more than a little veiled in comparison - smaller thicker and in hi-fi terms is the worse amp.

I bought the Sugden - it was far better on vocals and bass was richer and "felt" deeper - the smaller scale seemed much better with female vocals lounge singer kinds of music. But the guy who trade the Sugden in to the dealer bought the MF!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.