Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I call BS on that...

First of all, thank you VERY much for the discs, John, I got them 2 days ago. I cannot wait to listen to them and give you some honest feedback.

You wrote:
"Nobody drools over a $200 component. But post a picture of an $85,000 amp as somebody just did in the amp/preamp seciton of AA, and without ever hearing it, some enthusiasts are probably already reaching for their checkbook....But that is what the typical audio enthusiast craves. If that is true, I don't think it fair to put Stereophile or other mags on the hook for catering to the majority's cravings."

First of all, just how many folks on this enthusiast website could even consider an $85,000 amp? Precious few, that's how many. And I seriously doubt that the "typical" audio enthusiast craves an amp that costs as much as a VERY nice car - or even a decent home in some markets.

Get real. $85K amps are the stuff of (unattainable) dreams, and nothing more. They look good on the cover of a magazine. Big deal. I'd even venture to guess that very few on this site have an entire system that costs $85K. The vast majority have systems costing $25K or less. And I'd also bet dollars to donuts that less than 1% of this site's readers could ever afford such an amp.

So let's try and keep it real, okay? Who loves ya, bubbe?! [g]

-RW-

Edits: 03/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I call BS on that... - rlw 13:14:02 03/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.