Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Tekton Design Lesson

My suggestion is to put down all reviews and go and listen and create yourself a correlation chart of speakers you love, like, and loathe. THEN determine if there is a pattern to what you love and loathe. THEN look at the measurements to see if there is a pattern.

Virtually everything gets a good review these days by someone. Heck I have a Hi-fi Choice magazine that awarded Bose a Recommended Tag. Soundstage gave a Cerwin Vega budget speaker of the year. (Actually it was a good speaker in fact) but hey when CV and Bose are getting good reviews you want to make sure you're not starring in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

HE speakers tend to get around some of their "box" impediments in my opinion and often sound far less boxy, far more open, far cleaner, more dynamic and more "alive" than speakers that tend to perform better on the test bench but oddly don't sound anywhere near as good in the real world.

I have two loudspeakers at this moment
1) KEF LS-50 (see JA's measurements)
2) Audio Note E (see his measurements)

Both are fine speakers the first one measures real nice and the other measures "interestingly" to put it diplomatically. The latter is quite profoundly superior across every and all music that I play without exception and on any musically relevant attribute. Both were awarded "Product of the Year" by various outfits in the same year too.

So go listen to the thing first.

Many of the older school fat tubby speakers sound a helluva lot better than slim towers in MDF boxes with tin can metal tweeters.

Indeed, if you need to read a measurement to tell you a speaker or any component sounds good - then ask yourself if you should be spending the money that audiophile equipment is asking you to spend.

Buying the KEF was largely about the measurements for me and it is quite good especially for the money. Still, after 8 months it told me a lot - it told me to buy the AN E.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.