Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Another indicator that industry comes first with Stereophile...

Is the ridiculuously bloated Recommended Components list.

Virtually everything that gets reviewed gets on the list at some level of recommendation. Are all these components really capable of making a good sounding system?? I think not...

If this isn't pandering to the industry I am not sure what is. Nearly every advertiser can claim that they are a Stereophile "recommended component". Well, all it took was actually getting a component to them for review. Failing that I guess you don't get a recommendation.

The issue of the recommended components even touts the number of components that are recommended...as if the number of recommended components is somehow a relevant factor in any way, shape or form.

The dilution of the importance of the recommended component list is so severe that I don't even bother with it anymore and I suspect many other readers also don't bother but to give it a quick glance. A way needs to be found to sort the wheat from the chaff or the list is nothing more than a, "this is what STereophile has reviewed in the last few years" list.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.