Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Thoughts on Stereophile

Thank you for your time and comments everyone. It means alot. I am going to elaborate on a few questions raised.

The fact that Mrs. Atkinson runs the advertising department, while very atypical, does not say to me that it is impossible to maintain separate and clear views on what needs to be done. Again there are no absolutes. Only the salient fact that people try. As stated before, I have been a cheerleader for the journalists of the magazine to be treated with respect and fairly paid in a very tough industry that is journalism. Sam's word I take at face value.

Large corporate ownership of a magazine like this is not an automatic death sentence. It is dependent on management and priority. Yet it has become clear that the publication's corporate ownership may not and probably will never see the importance of this niche in the consumer world as much as we do along with, artists, product designers, musicians and AES engineers.

The irony is that Audiophile technology invariably trickles down, albeit to a much cheaper degree, to the regular consumer. The behemoth example I cite is Sony with a visionary group that never gave up on this kind of quality. And they never will.

John Atkinson has, quoting another, "always taken the high road here", when he easily could go the other way. And that bolsters my prior assertion of his professional approach.

Being "on the take" in this instance means that advertisers on the publication itself have corrupted the editorial content for only their demands of what is written. If that were the case Stereophile and TAS would never have gained the level of industry reference and respect dating from decades ago; let alone the professorial reputations of both magazines writers and the influence that they, and reporters from other publications, have gained.

Commercial radio and magazines sell spots because the format attracts the advertiser and not the other way around most of the time. Said advertiser feels that the message and medium are ripe to sell what they offer. And I am not trying to sound patronizing here as this is my experience with the advertising process and have worked with that process for decades.

I concede that this hobby's relationship with advertising is much closer in intent and process than other businesses because so many of the business owners, are themselves, the passionate adherents to the niche itself. However that doesn't automatically, to my mind, create an absolute immovable corruption of the subject matter at hand.

Best:

Ian M. Gordon
CT Audio Society

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.