Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Thoughts on Stereophile

have been reading Stereophile since the late 1980's (maybe longer), and also read TAS. Both are pretty good rags, but of course never perfect. With the exception of a couple writers in Stereophile, I've always found their staff first rate. Yet I'll miss Sam, as he was always a warm spot with the average reader. JA, as good as he is, does get a little too technical for me. Yet JA has always responded to questions asked, and has been there to answer questions. So I wouldn't knock him, but be glad we got him.

Talking with a multitude of listeners, one hears a lot. One of the major gripes is simply the equipment reviews. How many folks run out and buy a $125K turntable or a $25K phono stage? Or a $50K monoblock amp? Myself, I wouldn't bother to read about how fantastic somebody's $100K speaker is, because I cannot associate with it. There's a place for this equipment for sure, but is also far remote from most everybody on this forum alone. Now one of the first things I look at in these two mags is the record reviews. TAS is by far the better, and it's not great. Yet I've watched Stereophile go into a seemingly terminal slide with regards to reviews of recordings. One guy there is on the automatic ignore list (yes he's that bad). Yet a couple others are top of the line.
gary
Gary

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.