Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Can I make a suggestion or two?

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Speaking to #1, +/-15 degrees vertically is actually incorporated into the Listening Window already. We could plot those separately (the + and - 15), but in my opinion, to get a really accurate picture of sound power, you have to do sound power. In the chamber, it's incredibly time consuming, but one thing I mentioned earlier is we're looking at new test equipment, and with that one of the things we'll be able to do is true sound power. Stay tuned.

I hear you about wanting to see below, say, 45dB. The issue there is you're already more than 40dB down from the main signal with what we publish, so less than 1% distortion. Lower than that, you start getting into the noise threshold of the room, which is already MUCH lower than anyone can achieve with typical gated techniques in a regular room, or outside, which is what other magazines usually resort to. Therefore, I'm not sure what going lower might tell us.

The IMD is a good point.

Doug

Edits: 02/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.