Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I hope you're wrong

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out our measurements. Insofar as our amplifier measurements go, Bascom King does most, though we do have another firm working with us in Canada now.

The speaker measurements have long been the standard to which others are judged, mostly because we've done them in a true anechoic chamber at Canada's National Research Council -- since the year 2000! And we're actually looking right now at some additional equipment that's going to improve them even more.

That said, you're right, we don't provide interpretation of them -- something I was thinking of writing an article about. Why? As I said, an article will be coming, but part of the reason is that you have to do MANY MORE measurements than even we are doing to *begin* to properly interpret the sound from them, particularly with speakers. That's often why there's a complete failure when someone tries to assess too much. This is something I learned back in 2000 when I set up the speaker-measurement program for us.

But that doesn't mean they're useless -- far from it. The measurements we do go a long way to valid manufacturers' specifications, point out design flaws, assess design competence, indicate quality-control issues, etc. In that regard, they're incredibly valuable.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.