Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Want To Be Paid For Their Work?

Professionals like Sam want to be paid for their work, and promptly.

Can anyone blame them? Trouble is, there are plenty of wannabees who are more than willing to review equipment free, just so they can call themselves "Reviewers".

When payroll isn't being paid regularly and on time you know damned well that trouble is brewing. Remember that old cliché - "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul". Pay the suppliers first one month then cover the payroll checks the next! Anything to keep the doors open, but that can't last indefinitely.

About twenty years ago I worked for a corporation whose payroll checks had become so unreliable that the employees would grab their checks and haul ass to the bank that they were drawn on to cash them the instant those checks got into their hands. The people who were slow to do that wound up with bounced checks that week. I didn't stick around, but those who did arrived at work one day (about two months later) only to find chains securing all of the doors with Federal Marshal's notices proclaiming that the business was seized for non payment of their quarterly employment taxes.

Most of us know that print publishing is probably on its last legs. Only those at the very top of their game will survive. I don't think that todays Stereophile can make the cut. I gave it a maximum of five years under the present regime on a post that I made a couple of months ago. I've just revised my prediction down to two years tops.

Bye Stereophile, it was great at the beginning. No so great during the recent past.

Cheers,
Al

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.