Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Performance

Hawkmoon, the bars do run across the entire component. There are steel pods that bolt into the solid steel shelf. There's a bottom bar attached to the shelf with the component sandwiched in between the top and bottom bars such that when tightend, the top bar compresses the component onto the steel pods. The bottom bar never makes contact with the component.

It's important to by-pass the worthless stock footer.

If you should try anything, just remember that you are attempting to create a superior mechanical conduit so that unwanted mechanical energy can freely transfer expediently between normally disparate objects before it can bottleneck, start releasing its energy, and thus induce its destructive harm.

Also remember, since electricity is a form of vibration (what isn't?) and is always seeking the most expedient path of least resistence to ground, so too are mechanical vibrations.

For this reason I like to use the analogy of a lightning rod. Like the lightning rod, your components are attracting unwanted energy and without a superior grounding wire, rod, and connectors, that lightning rod's performance will be catastrophic regardless of its quality. The rack is the grounding wire.

The word catastrophic is accurate and reminds me of what Robert Harley, editor of TAS mag, who in the Mar/Apr 2009 issue said, "I believe that something catastrophic is occurring at the recording mic's diaphragms so that much of the music never makes it to the recording." paraphrased.

Elsewhere Harley expanded on this by stating his speculation was based primarily on a simple experiment conducted by Ed Meitner of EMM Labs who played some notes from a guitar into a guitar amp, recorded the notes, and then played back the notes using the same guitar amp. The results of the reproduced notes vs the live notes were so radically different, this was apparently Meitner's conclusion.

Obviously their conclusion and subsequent speculations were wrong IMO, but Harley was right on the money when he used the word catastrophic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Performance - stehno 02:43:20 01/10/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.