Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Measurements do tell a great deal????

I just don't see how this is possible. I think such measurements are questionable at best for at least the following reasons:

1. There are few if any measuring standards.

2. JA admitted not long ago that one of his measuring instruments was out of production and long overdue for a check up / recalibration.

3. Is the platform for which the object to be measured the same or different than previous measurements with other similar products?

4. Is sufficient or at least similar warm up and settling in times alotted for the object in question prior to recording measurements?

5. Is the same measuring instrument used for all similar products?

6. It is well-known by some that our sensitive components are adversely affected by distortions induced by noisy AC and undercontrolled vibrations. Is the same diligence applied to the measuring instrument which may well be just as sensitive? e.g. What power cables and/or line conditioners and racking systems are used for the sensitive measuring instruments?

I recall a thread several years ago with Mark Levinson and John Curl participating where ML claimed he used SOTA-level professionally-calibrated measuring instruments, yet he and his colleagues claimed the measuring instruments failed them routinely when they could audibly discern things the measuring instrument could not discern. Curl also admitted that his measuring instruments failed him routinely in discerning certain audible changes.

Components, cables, and speakers all take a variable time to burn-in, warm-up, and settle-in. Shoot, I know some components that take upwards of 5 months to settle in.

Hence, without any potentially qualifying standards or consideration for any of the above, I'd have to guess that any such measurements have perhaps a greater chance of misleading the consumer rather than revealing truth.

No offense intended against JA as I appreciate his willing to take the time to perform this potentially valuable service. However, and I'm sure JA would agree, there's more involved than just taking measurements.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.