Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Mr. Atkinson; Was Sam Telling Shown The Door?

I posted this in the original thread in GA and will post it here since it also pertains to the future of S'Phile and Mr. Atkinson. And let me add this; Mr. Marks, do you think we reasonably intelligent participants to this Board see you as anything more than a pathetic sycophant butt-kisser extraordinaire?

Mr. Marks' tribute was incomplete.
Tom was touting the joy of headphones (as we all know, he affectionately called them "cans") long before the current headphone craze. As Mikey is to vinyl, Tom is to headphones. But even better, and consistent with his catholic\democratic point of view, Tom was not touting the stratospheric realm of Stax but the joys of affordable headphones like the venerable Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Grados.
Presaging Art Dudley's appreciation of under-the-radar artisans who rejected bling factor for form-follows-function, Tom wrote about the likes of Quicksilver monoblock tube amps and Ray Samuels headphone amps.
Tom was unique in his ability to bring his friends into his writing-fleshing out the joy of audio gear as being a hobby to share with friends and family and "characters of the best sort" like crazy Roy Hall.
These are things I will most miss. The hows and whys are not important. I can make educated guesses. I have seen changes brought about by age of not only Tom but also of the editor-in-chief, a man who has grown more rigid and less tolerant with age, and a man who needs to step down if the magazine is to be saved within the next five years.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.