Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The "Quick Start Installation Guide"...

"The unwashed masses need to understand that true audiophiles spend hours if not days or weeks fiddling with the position of their speakers until they are at last satisfied that no further improvements are possible."

In my case it was more like a month with my Focal studio monitors. I had to move the speakers fractions of an inch, but I ended up adding a sub and moving that around and figuring out how to set the dozen cross-over controls. This was a hopeless project when done totally by ear, so I got a calibrated microphone and RTA. In the end the sound I was getting went from not quite acceptable to excellent. I don't think I would have gotten these results without a combination of objective measurements and subjective listening.

IMO it is simply insane to judge speakers without understanding their interaction with the room. This is something that the audiophile must know and it's not going to come from any "quick start guide".

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.