Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Cute, but flawed review. Positioning speakers in room is "HIFI 101

What, to be candid and undiplomatic, really frosted my butt was:

1) It is incomprehensible to me that someone who presumes to pen a review for the globe's leading audio mag doesn't know that, to fill in a lean lower midrange and bass and to correct tonal balance that's tilted upward, one need only move a speaker (almost any speaker) closer to a room boundary. That's pretty basic stuff - which I learned in my first week on the job at a hi-fi shop over 40 years ago. But furthermore...

2) When Mr. Reichert asked for a review pair at Capital Audiofest last summer, we of course told him that we'd like to set up the speakers correctly in his room (a professional courtesy that Stereophile routinely grants to others). We were denied. I then went through some set-up basics, and while I was in mid-sentence, talking about moving the speakers closer to or further away from room boundaries to achieve correct tonal balance, Reichert brusquely waved me off, saying that he knew all about such things, having been the Audio Note importer back in the 90s. (The Audio Notes, like our speakers, require boundary-coupling to do their stuff.) His description of our wee wonder's sound is right on the money when it's not getting sufficient boundary support: thin vocals, lean bass, tonal balance tilted upward. No one who owns our speakers or has heard them at shows or at our showroom has ever noted these phenomena. No one. Ever. And neither did the two other guys who reviewed (the clue) - i.e., in Positive Feedback Online and Soundsgoodtome. Neither did anyone who included (the clue) in a show report. In fact, incredibly, no one had anything negative to say in print at all!

3) Reichert gave (the clue) an unqualified rave in his Capital Audiofest show report, having heard them set up properly (and using digital files and solid-state electronics). He contacted us three times as he was evaluating the speakers - but somehow failed to mention that he was hearing something quite different from that which he experienced at the show. JA commented on Asylum that they're not here to collaborate with manufacturers on reviews - but Reichert did, in fact, contact us for some collaboration - just not in re: the critical matter of his contradictory experiences of the speaker.

Each and every (the clue) purchaser is offered unlimited email and/or phone consultation on set-up (in-home set-up for buyers in or near Seattle), associated components, or anything else related to that purchase - with the "Quick Start-Up Installation Guide" being a starting point (albeit one which, if followed, satisfies the lion's share of customers). And we have had not a single owner who failed to be satisfied with our speakers after going through the consultation process. And achieving proper set-up seldom takes more than a few minutes.

Well, I've blown hard for too long. Thanks for reading!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Cute, but flawed review. Positioning speakers in room is "HIFI 101 - zendada@w-link.net 14:09:12 12/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.