Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Perhaps Not Unless the Speaker is Sufficiently Expensive

But how many times have we read of the following kind of collaborative effort avoiding any chance of the component being placed sub-optimally. Was the reviewer in the case quoted below not capable of following the manufacturer's directions regarding placement--as the consumer would have to do?

If I purchase the speakers written of below will the designer come and place them for me and lend me an amp and cables?

I could have quoted from many Stereophile reviews; this one came up first on the web site.

"Setup
Rather than ship the review samples, Carl Marchisotto brought them over in person, along with 10' lengths of his preferred loudspeaker cable, Nordost Odin. (Though unfamiliar with the Odins, I did do some comparisons with the Kubala-Sosna Elation! cables I'd been using—see later.) Although he had also wanted to bring his Audio Research Reference 75 stereo power amplifier for me to use—an amplifier with which I was familiar, having used it for a while after it was reviewed by Bob Reina for the May 2013 issue of Stereophile—it was not available that day. Marchisotto therefore shipped it to me a couple of weeks later, along with a Nordost Odin AC cable fitted with the appropriate 20A IEC plug.

Using a CD-R of his reference tracks, Marchisotto methodically moved each Metro Grand Reference Gold until he was satisfied that it was speaking with one voice across the audio band. He then placed each speaker on its ball-bearing–coupled base, did some confirming listening, and bade me farewell."

I make this point with no ax to grind. I have no dog in this fight. But I am impressed with the fact of an unconventional and innovative design at a very reasonable price--and a seeming inability of the major review magazine to deal with it. Seems to me to be a discouragement of exactly that kind of imaginative innovation.

Having read the designer's post, I could say the same of the measurements--seemingly an inability to deal with an innovative design.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.