Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Then I think that we both agree with Beau Brummel... .

Hi-

Beau Brummel was supposed to have coined the phrase, "If you notice a man's clothes, he is not well-dressed."

My idea of great prose style is that the prose does not seem to have a "style." I try to write in order to inform. And if I can get that done, not much else matters (assuming that my observations are worth learning about).

I felt good the other day when a company whose product I recommended asked JA for permission to quote from my write-up; to my surprise they made it the first thing you see on their home page:

"This totally charming, petite, retro timekeeper, only 6.75" wide by 3" high by 2" deep and weighing just 13oz, is the perfect gift for the tube lover in your life—or for anyone who delights in the mid-century design style exemplified by the Eames molded-fiberglass chair and the Nelson Ball Clock."

# # #

While there is a personal opinion of mine in there, it is my opinion about how other people (potential gift recipients) would react and not a statement about my personal emotions. I think that readers can figure out for themselves that I approve of the product and its value proposition by the mere fact of its inclusion on the list.

But purging earlier drafts of fluff, jargon, and self-referential asides is work. I agree that many audio writers seem to think that they have to speak in a code.

As far as music reviews go, we will have to agree to disagree. "Personal reactions" are great, but I think that there is a little bit of Romantic-Era "Noble Savage" behind the idea that one should just approach a work of art with no information that might form preconceived notions. Over the past several decades I have relied upon the educational aspect of reading classical reviews by great classical reviewers such as Harris Goldsmith (RIP).

For example, if it has never been pointed out to you that Debussy was gently making fun of Wagner's pretentiousness in Debussy's "Children's Corner Suite," but you catch that anyway, my hat is off to you, because I needed that to be pointed out to me--even though it is painfully obvious once you know what to listen for!

The essence of "Cultural Literacy" is to be aware of the source materials (like "Tristan") that "content creators" (like Debussy) not only use, but for the most part assume that their audiences will recognize.

In my view, for classical music, recording reviews are a huge trove of that kind of information. Assuming a very high level of professionalism, of course, and not just a recital of "How this recording made ME 'feel'. " There's an objective world out there, and too much audio writing makes subjectivity the only virtue. (While also usually proclaiming that all subjective reactions are equally valid. But that's another can of worms.)

ATB,

JM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Then I think that we both agree with Beau Brummel... . - John Marks 14:50:18 12/10/14 (1)
    • Agreed - Awe-d-o-file 09:57:04 12/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.