Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I think that audio reviewers should be judged by the usefulness of their writing. Period.

Usefulness yes and it includes a lot of things not mentioned anywhere (yet, it may change) in this thread. Of course "we" want to know primarily about the performance of a piece of gear and how it stacks up to the competition both in and out of its price range. At least I want that.

As to reviewing music I feel it is so personal I never read music reviews. Let me rephrase that, I don't seek out music reviews, if it is front of my face I might read it. Even if I found a reviewer that seems to like a lot of what I like I would not seek out his or her writing today where the net will provide the tune or at least a snippet for me to evaluate. I've often said music is far too personal like choosing a mate, a meal or a bottle of wine. I don't think anything near perfect pitch is required to review music, but gear I think does require a very good ear at a minimum. Rather than a music review I'd rather see or hear a list of new releases so I know what's out there.

I'm going to dissect this next section:

""I think that an audio reviewer has to have ethics and a certain amount of humility, be capable of turning in good prose on time, and have a greater-than average awareness of the history of audio (both technology and its place in society) and understanding of basic audio engineering.""

1) "I think that an audio reviewer has to have ethics and a certain amount of humility" - yep, that's very good

2) " be capable of turning in good prose on time" -I don't read for writing prowess I read for information. Too often a review(er) gets lost in writing technique and loses grip of the real reason it was written: to inform us about something. Just my opinion, prose is defined as ORDINARY speech or writing. I almost never see that.

3) "and have a greater-than average awareness of the history of audio (both technology and its place in society) and understanding of basic audio engineering." - Sure, that will help too.

Those are very good criteria John.

So I'm not picking on John at all, just citing some differences in the way I see it. Most reviews of both gear and music have a gasbag factor to me where they are "dressed up", overwritten or too wordy. (perhaps like my post)They have given us terms and phrases that are often very easy to draw laughter. We've had threads on that very subject.

E
T

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.