Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Steve Gutenberg's article

I find much of what he talks about as true - music today (non jazz/non classical) is deliberately produced with varying degrees of noise/distortion, etc. For a while i thought it was more related to not having the production $, but even well heeled artists are serving up pretty noisy and compressed music these days. My son tells me this is not just on cd's - he says the vinyl counterparts are just as noisy.

I now find it difficult to enjoy newer music as my system points out the noise very clearly. I've taken to seeking out live video performances of artists like Arcade Fire, St Paul, Robert Plant, etc. Very enjoyable and my expectations are lower for SQ due to the audio limitations of broadcast TV/Cable. One by-product of having a decent system is my wife will not listen to anything that sounds "muddy" to her - which is a lot of what I bring home from the library to explore new artists.

I wonder what audiophiles of yesteryear thought when they cued up some of the early Stones LP's - likely drove them to jazz or other genres. Maybe there is to much of a good thing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Steve Gutenberg's article - mcondo 09:02:24 11/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.