Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Musing on the two "As we see it" Stereophile articles

First I'll start with latest piece by J. V. Serinus, in "Thinking outside the Niche" about why "public don't care (enough) about the sound, to join the ever-shrinking Audiophile club."

Besides continuing decline of the purchasing power of an average working person (lets face it, the most people don't have enough money) the iPods/iPads, PC's, car stereos...etc offer adequate sound for the majority. I'm not sure if people are even buying Stereos to just allocate exclusive time to listen music? The local Best Buy offers one model of the Stereo receiver. The most commonly offered - and probably most likely purchased - are the Home Theater receivers. So, people are 'on to go' music listeners, or at best YouTube, Pandora "sit at the PC listeners". The Movie enthusiasts.

That brings me to Steve Gutenberg excellent article "Communication Breakdown" where he writes: "Harshness isn't just a byproduct of compression; it's an integral part of the sound of today's music." If that's the case, why would we need anything more than "the adequate" to listen to the, apparently distorted sounding music?

Edits: 11/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Musing on the two "As we see it" Stereophile articles - Eldragon 09:45:39 11/18/14 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.