Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

"It's all your fault, Lummy!"

Hey, who moved my post from Inmate Central to Critic's Corner?

Anyway, I have a long-time audio friend, who, for years, has been fond of writing, "It's all your fault, Lummy!" Every now and then, I come across an audio product from the mid-90s. Such is the case with the XLO Signature 4.1b. So if the product came from the mid-90s, it's only natural, that I write about the period when the product first came out.

While many audiophiles miss the digest-sized issues of TAS and Stereophile, they all agree that, in terms of popularity and quality, the mid-90s were Stereophile's peak. Because of interesting product types such as interconnects and DACs, the high-end audio industry experienced explosive growth and excitement. Even within power amps, we saw different types of tube technologies (e.g., SET, regular triode, high-power push-pull) AND different types of SS (bi-polar, single-ended, MOSFET, digital switching, and even different biasing schemes). Audio products finally left the dark ages, and started incorporating wireless remote control. And yes, we discovered after-market powercords and powerline conditioners.

So open up a mid-90s Stereophile, and you will find that it covered a wide range of product types, in multiple price categories. Just take a look at the length, depth, and quality of the writing. Many of the reviews incorporated a life story, and tied the product and/or the music to that life story. Thus, audio didn't exist in a vacuum; it was part of the rich tapestry of music, art, family, and life.

But anyway, every time I highlight how long it's been since the mid-90s, my audio friend uses his "It's all your fault, Lummy!" quote. He says I make him feel old.

Many of my old audio friends have dropped out. I am happy and gratified, that they have taken care of the audio portion, and have moved on. They are now enjoying not just music, but life. OTOH, I feel abandoned. All the nice people leave, and we're left with the old cranks (oops, like me).

Those of you who have followed my blogs know that, when I was in high school, I worked in the school's library. Through that, I was able to read the subscriptions to Billboard, Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated, and Stereo Review. No, the school did not subscribe to Audio, High Fidelity, Stereophile, or TAS. But I was indeed aware of these magazines' existence.

My classmates complained that Stereo Review didn't tell us how a product sounded. One day, while I was inserting the metal security strip into a Stereo Review, my classmate and his freshman sister walked in. She saw a Polk Audio ad featuring Matthew Polk, and remarked, "Dude, with those lips, that guy thinks he's [Aerosmith's] Steven Tyler!"

Edits: 10/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.