Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Not as clever as he thinks he is

As a former reviewer I can certainly understand the impulse to play around with the form. Just before Listener's owner killed the magazine, I told Art Dudley about a wacky idea I had for a review. When he stopped laughing, his only concern was how did I intend to describe the sound of the device under review. He didn't object to an unusual format for a review as long as it succeeded as a review. Nor do I think audio reviews can't be intellectual. Jim Bailey, one of my former Listener colleagues, is a professor of philosophy. He wrote a brilliant review (of a Spendor speaker I think) that began with a concise discussion of two philosophical schools of thought and then segued into describing aspects of the speaker's performance as each philosophy would see it. Jim's novel approach did not detract from the review's purpose, to evaluate and describe a piece of audio gear. That's where Merod failed. Whatever useful information about the component might be in his article is obscured by the impenetrable prose.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.