Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: A reminder for Senile Editors what components they wrote about in the last year...

A very creative rant.

I have been a subscriber to Stereophile almost from the beginning. I did not discover it until 1965 and had to make do with Xeroxed copies until my own issues started showing up (irregularly!) on my doorstep. I have been a subscriber to Absolute sound from Issue One. They’re still fun to read, but I don’t find them very useful anymore as I continue to build/improve my system. The audio blogs and my audio buddies are much better for that.

My whole approach at home is based on the idea of “system.” A conglomeration of Stereophile A+ listed components may not sound as good as “lesser” components carefully put together. Thirty years ago, I took a certain stupid pride in knowing that my system components were all Class B or above. Now I get more enjoyment out of “discovering” components that few have heard of yet. My present system—my best one ever—is a combination of a couple of Class A components, a couple of home-brew’s, and some components offered by manufacturers too small to be noticed by the major audio pubs.

One more thing. The Stereophile rankings really give one pause. The October issue lists over 500 components. One can put together a Class A analogue front end for $21K (least) to $199,450 (most). I’m not sure what to do with that. Absolute Sound lists components by price category. I’m not sure that’s any better. Arthur Salvatore puts together his ultimate system and improves it one component at a time. I like that approach better, but that has its own problems.

Is there a better way to give rational guidance to consumers?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.