Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Art Dudley PSA Direct Stream Review

I don't think there's a suggestion anywhere that the unit was defective. Presumably PSA were happy enough with the original firmware to release it as a product. Then they made a modification that made a significant difference and rushed that out - firmware makes that possible. If it was a hardware change then a revision is a lot tougher. I expect there was a lot more work behind the firmware change than simply taking a shower.

I agree, that if I was supplying a piece of equipment for review by Stereophile I'd test it fully first, to be sure. In fact I would run a full characterization and supply the report in a sealed envelope to be opened by JA only after he had completed his measurements.

The difference in noise shaping between the channels concerns me as an engineer though it probably has no subjective ramifications. Ted Smith seems happy he knows the root cause so the cure must expensive (hardware revision) otherwise it would be fixed (my mischievous side wonders what the noise shaping looks like with the original firmware).

There seems to be no correlation between objective and subjective performance. If there was, IMHO, the Audiophile world would disappear in a puff of smoke and we'd have little to post about!

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.