Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Paging John Atkinson

Thanks, John. Hoevever, you overlooked a couple of my questions toward the end of my previous response. Also, you give the impression that because of this experience nothing else really matters when it comes to a speaker generating the "jump factor".

Regardless, I'm curious about the jump factor you experienced with the Triangle speakers.

In some recent dealings of my own with dynamics and jump factor and new some high-powered amps, it got to the point that the immediacy of perhaps every initial strike, pluck, or blatt of an instrument became so striking or startling that it seemed as though I were on stage with the instruments. Yet, for the majority of the rest of the notes and presentation, I was seated well into the audience with the instruments up on stage where they belong. It was actually funky because the presentation gave the impression that my perspective was in 2 places at once.

I was eventually able to correct this so that my perspective was entirely from a position well into the audience and though all the immediacy, dynamics, and jump remained, they were now up on stage (without me) with the rest of the music. In other words all the dynamics and jump factor were there but now had distance like the rest of the music.

An extreme example might be the dynamics of a 45-caliber gun shot going off within say 5 feet of me would certainly cause a jump factor every time. But that same gun shot going off 50 - 75 ft away simply does not invoke the same intimate startling jump factor.

Not knowing any of the other factors of your experience with the Triangles, I can't help but wonder if this jump factor experience is a good thing or bad.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy full on dynamics perhaps more than most and listen to music louder than many. In fact, I've always taken great pride in assembling a system perhaps more dynamic than any I've heard. Yet, in the end I've found these impressively startling jump factor initial attacks were actually taking me further away from the live performance rather than closer to it. From a perspective within the audience that is.

Any thoughts on that?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Paging John Atkinson - stehno 14:39:17 08/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.