Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Art Dudley PSA Direct Stream Review

I found this review, from a critic and audiophile I have great respect for, puzzling. Why spend 2/3 or 3/4 of a review on a DAC when, before the review period was completed, the reviewer KNOWS there is updated software that dramatically improves the sound. This is especially astonishing when the reviewer knows (or should know) all new Direct Stream DAC's for salewill have the updated software. What was the point of going on about the pre-update DAC?

Second, all the Internety buzz, and most DAC users experience, tell us that DAC's in general require a burn-in period, some longer than others. In the Direct Stream case, 100 hours seems to be the minimum. Yet Mr. Dudley mentions nothing about burn-in; whether he did it or not, or for how long, when this factor will have a dramatic effect on the sound.

Net net, I think this is not a review congruent with Mr Dudley's talents or experience. It seems like he mailed it in. Particularly disappointing with a product that extends the state of the art, and this listener thinks is a breakthrough.

What happened, Art?

Neal

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Art Dudley PSA Direct Stream Review - Nglazer 12:53:51 08/18/14 (38)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.