Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: August Stereophile Amplifier Measurements - an observation, or two.

You know the sad thing (and funny thing to me anyway) is that this is coming from a fan of Audio Note equipment that is often considered to have loopy pricing. I don't have a problem with pricing if there are parts that in some way justify it.

But compare the Momentum preamp previously above at $32,000 and the Audio Note M6 preamp for $18k (the M3 is $10k which is exactly the same amplifier but uses lesser parts (EI transformers instead of nickel C-core etc).

The M6 is still a heckuva lot of money no question but considering that they make the transformers in house, the wiring is all silver (which they make in house) to their own caps, resisters, cables, the actual connectors, volume pots. And when they do use an outsourced part it is usually at or near the best available for whatever it is.

So while I can say the M6 is expensive I can actually see where the money is. I struggle to see it in Solid State makers. Virtually all of them buy off the shelf parts and put their label over the front. At $5k ok - at $50k not ok.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.