Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "in spite of the unit having a ...temperamental track record" .....

This is forum banter -- people claimed the CD6 failed a lot - whether that is necessarily true or that 999 happy customers stay quiet and 1/1000 screams blue murder on forums is tough to parse. The average life of disc spinners is supposedly 7 years (according to CR). I would expect a high end CD player to beat the average but even Bryston only gave 5 years on their CD player.

I also have the first Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT which folks on forums claimed was unreliable - I bought mine back in 2000 - no problems.

If you really want to know become friends with the repair tech of a major audio dealer (not on the sales side) and find out. Obviously my experience of the CD6 and MG head differ from what I have read on forums over the years. My buddy had a Chevy Cavalier that lasted 10 years without fail. I had another friend who had a Toyota Tercel that blew a head gasket with less than 50,000 miles. Statistically both are outliers but try telling either one of them that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.