Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Jeez.

It may be hard to believe but this kind of thing happens. I knew Gordon Holt in the 70s when he was around Philadelphia. Gordon was throwing away a set of ESS Transtatic 1 speakers sent to Stereophile about a year before for review. They hadn't been reviewed and ESS didn't want them back because they had moved on to the 1st Heil tweeter speakers.

I took them home. They were a transmission line 3 way with electrostatic speakers. A friend and I turned them on. They were the darkest, most recessed speakers I ever heard. My friend looked at them and the wires to where the mids were hooked up could be seen. And both the hot and ground wires went to the same terminal ON BOTH SPEAKERS. They had sent a set of speakers out for review with no mid ranges.

All they had to do was to hook up the speakers for a couple of seconds and they would have heard the problem. They were lucky Gordon was late on reviewing them. Shit happens.

I fixed them and used them for a while and later traded them for a set of LS3/5As, a good deal for me with both sets of speakers.

Edits: 06/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Jeez. - hahax@verizon.net 20:00:41 06/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.