Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: LOL!

What I try to do is defend them against uninformed attacks of the kind that so often occur on the Internet and then gain currency merely by virtue of having been stated. And I was doing this long before I knew anyone at the company.

When people claim that Magenpan won't submit its products for review by Stereophile because the speakers don't measure well, and I know that Stereophile's measurements misrepresent the performance of the speaker because the quasi-anechoic measurement technique they use is inappropriate for the measurement of large planars, should I not point that out?

When people accuse Magnepan of hiding a center channel speaker despite the fact that they mentioned the center channel speaker at almost every showing, should I not point that out?

Some forum members run at this stuff swinging their axes like Hagar the Horrible. Minor slip-ups like being tired and pressed for time and forgetting to mention the center channel speaker at a few demos are transformed into evil conspiracies.

This is not the same as agreeing with everything the company does. For example, Steve Ford and I have nagged Wendell to death over his refusal to disclose basic technical details, as in the 3.7i upgrade. But even there, I'm aware that we're speaking from the perspective of people who don't know whether a spec can be mentioned without disclosing trade secrets.

For example, the 1.7 uses a novel series crossover with a .5-way supertweeter strip and I can see why they wouldn't want to talk about that -- it's clever and it doesn't have patent protection. But we didn't know that until Peter Gunn opened one up and made a schematic of the crossover. So if we had criticized Magnepan for refusing to disclose more crossover information, would that have been fair?

Let me quote part of an email I received yesterday from Wendell, touching on the center channel business:

"Something as simple as the desire to have a clean backdrop for viewing the two competing cosmetic designs has not occurred to anyone. Rather there are sinister reasons given."

I think that pretty much says it all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.