Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: LOL!

What you are is a guy with questionable grammar, erratic spelling, and a predilection for name-calling, baseless accusation, unfounded generalizations, and that ever-reliable indicator of a weak position, ad hominem argument.

As for Wendell and Mark's missteps, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I've seen nothing but penny ante stuff -- forgetting to mention a center channel speaker in a few demos, saying something that pissed off a member of the press. If that's what you're referring to, I'm not sure why you say I failed to acknowledge them, given that I've been discussing them for the last two days. Or do you mean that I didn't start inventing paranoid theories about what happened and calling for everyone to be drawn and quartered?

Meanwhile, Magnepan has had a string of successful product introductions, weathered a very difficult economic climate and the challenges that face high end audio without sacrificing its identity as a company that sells high end gear at prices the middle class can afford, and, most recently, introduced a new compact model that won raves. To me a major misstep would be a product introduction that no one likes, or a failed business strategy.

Do I agree with everything they do? No. But look up the Dunning–Kruger effect. I've worked all my life in pro audio and video and had for a time a company that manufactured pro audio equipment, so I know something of the challenges businesses face. But, paradoxically, one of the consequences of that knowledge is that I know how little I know about the their business. I've had the good fortune to get to know some of the people at Magnepan, to get a sense of who they are, warts and all, and of some of the challenges they face and some of the strategies they've tried. But I don't have the lore that one acquires after working for at a company, sometimes for decades. So while like many here I make suggestions and try to convince them to do this or that, I don't believe that I know enough about their business to know better than they do how to run it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.