Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Why are you the "in-between" man from Magnepan?

Potzrebie,

Wendell no longer participates directly in these forums. He works six days a week and doesn't have time. In lieu of direct participation, when Wendell has something he wants to say on the forums, he emails it to a forum representative and we pass it on.

Currently, I fill that role on the Planar Asylum, and Steve Ford does it on the Planar Circle. Steve and I also pass questions from fellow forum members on to Wendell.

I wish I could say I get paid for it, but I don't.

Anyway, when I pass something on from Wendell it represents his opinion, not mine. Conversely, what I write here constitutes my own opinion and speculation and shouldn't be given any special weight. Sometimes, when I say something wrong, I'll get an email from Wendell informing me of that in no uncertain terms. Ditto when I guess right. And very occasionally, I hear something on background, and then I'm left with the frustrating task of using information that's publicly available to make a point. But basically, I'm just speculating, like everyone else.

In this specific case I haven't spoken to anyone at Magnepan since the incident -- all I know is what I've read here and on Stereophile's site. However, when I visited the factory a year ago as forum representative, I passed on a participant's suggestion that Magnepan send Stereophile a pair of Mini Maggies for review. Mark Winey said he thought it was a good idea, and then said to Wendell that it might be a way to get back into sending speakers to Stereophile. So I didn't get the sense that there was any great animosity. As far as I know the issue is that JA's measurements make Maggies look bad, and that JA understandably doesn't want to publish a review without them. That's just based on what I've read here and on the Stereophile site. And my own comments on this were just to point to the near field measurement problem since some people seemed to think that Maggies have awful measurements.

IMO, E-Stat's suggestion makes a lot of sense: When measuring large planars, Stereophile should just omit the bass curve and put in a footnote to the effect that gated quasi-anechoic measurements don't accurately represent the performance of large-area dipoles. Ideally, they could add an in-room measurement, or make the low frequency measurements at a normal listening distance outside (but at a normal distance from an exterior wall since that affects the midbass response).

Edits: 06/07/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.