Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

WRONG. I did not.

I did not ACCUSE Raven of fudging the dealer rule.

I merely noted that in my experience, it has been an occasional problem. In some Zen way, perhaps a "non-stocking" dealer is more immanent or transcendent than a dealer who can actually, well, demo the gear for you. But not in my world.

The fact that there was not a replacement available from ANY source may simply reflect a lack of thinking outside the box. It's not Art Dudley's job to try to get a manufacturer out of a hole he himself has dug.

But the fact that there was not a replacement available might also mean that most sales have been direct sales, which might make a cynic wonder about the reality of the dealer base that must have been claimed in order to get a review.

"We have five dealers but none of them have stock" does not TO ME sound like the inner workings of a company that is ready for prime time.

If anything comes of this, I can hope for:

1. A more cautious approach on the part of startup companies who should consider the worst case as well as a best case outcome from a Stereophile review.

2. Perhaps less carping about how Stereophile favors established companies.

When I gave column coverage to darTZeel's first product (IIRC 2004) I did my own Due Diligence, because the product at the time had no US POP and therefore was available only direct from Switzerland.

I in due course learned that darTZeel had on hand and intended to have on hand at all times a reserve supply of all the electronic parts required for future repairs, and that that reserve would be recalibrated as needed based on product sales so that if a part was suddenly discontinued by its manifacturer, the customer was protected. I also learned that the boxing with an amp inside had been certified by a third-party agency as good against a drop from a 30-inch high conveyor belt. And, in the event, darTZeel has gone from strength to strength.

All I could say was, "Continuez."

We are not always so fortunate.

BTW, a friend had a problem with a professionally-built kit with the name of a rather well-known esoteric set of companies on it, and I recommended that he send it to a third party for investigation. Some of it was the owner's fault but there also was a fuse-blowing problem that was the subject of a later factory modification, etc. Class-A, IIRC single tube, perhaps 845. Not at all cheap.

Just for fun, the EE tech put it on test equipment. At 4 watts there was 1% distortion. At full power, 10% distortion.

I myself have no interest in writing about such gear, regardless how long the company has been in business. You can get 10% distortion for a lot less money than that.

The five-dealer rule is more of a picket fence than a Maginot line. So please stop bitching about it.

JM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.