Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: You haven't explained...

I think I get what you are saying. If the reviewer only has $5,000 let's say for an amplifier the reviewer because he can get accommodation pricing will be more apt to bring in $10,000 amplifiers for reviewer because he can get a $10,000 amp for $5,000.

On the one hand it is still an apples to apples comparison because he could audition ten $10k amps and he is still choosing the "best" $10k amplifier to buy - but it does negatively skew the value relationship because "Joe Six Pack" has to spend $10k. Further, the reviewer may be influence into believing the $10k amplifier is much better than all $5,000 amplifiers because after all he is getting a $10,000 amplifier at a "deal" and most people like "deals" and like to feel "superior" in terms of the component value of their system - all of which creates or feeds a price bias.

This is why I have paid whatever the dealer has quoted me. Ie; I don't get a better deal that what a dealers' customer's get so when I say "I bought the review sample - I pay what you pay." Which doesn't mean MSRP but who pays MSRP? Some people are better at haggling than other people. Living in Hong Kong and China has taught me much.

In China those guys are selling wallets. At first the price was 480RMB for a wallet. My friend who is the ultimate haggler got them down to 40RMB. Most tourists might get it for $240 thinking they did good. It works like that for some audio products. They like to have high MSRPs so that when they give you 25% off you feel like you're getting a terrific deal. When in reality the thing was already marked up far higher than other products where you can only get 10% off after negotiating.

Some companies post on their website what the reviewer discount is - Say 40%

Devil's advocate though...
Of course the problem with that is that if I pay full price for a $2000 speaker and I could have had their $2000 speaker for $1200 what does that tell you?

That is why I laugh at Stereophile's recommended list because ART Dudley buys $10,000+ Class B rated speakers over $1500 class A rated speakers. Class A is supposedly better than ANYTHING in class B - Art obviously disagrees with that notion now doesn't he? Either that or hi is batcrap crazy to be spending 8 times more money (50% discount or not) on worse sounding loudspeakers/amps etc.

Further, I would pay $2000 full price for a speaker that I like over several ~2000 speakers even if they gave me 50% off or indeed even if I could get them for $300. I'd rather spend the $2000 for something I like than $300 for something I don't.

I do agree with your point but I think we have to give ourselves a bit of credit for preferences. I recently bought the Line Magnetic 219IA at dealer list (they had a 10% sale on it but that sale was for anyone not just reviewers). I probably could have had several $12,000-$13,000 amplifiers for around the same price I paid for the 219IA (and from known brand names making them "safer" buys and netting higher resale values. In spite of that I purchased the 219IA. That's pretty high praise and tells my readers who share a similar sonic aesthetic to me just how much I liked it. 9 months later and I am always happy to fire it up.

Edits: 05/04/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You haven't explained... - RGA 21:49:47 05/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.